Wednesday 1 August 2012

Fishing Report - 30th July 2012

Fish Caught: 7 (3 Browns / 4 Grayling)
Conditions: Mild, sunny spells, 17 - 19 degrees
Top Flies/Tactics: All fish to small (16) black tungsten quill nymph or gold bead pheasant tail nymph, French Nymphing tactics.

I managed a rare early finish from work that left me with room for a good 4 hour session down the Don, however 4 hours quickly turned into 3 after an accident on the A1, and then down to 2.5 hours after hitting traffic in Sheffield City Centre. At one point I was even contemplating turning round and heading home when I was on the A1, but I was stuck in the outside lane and my left indicator decided to pack up so I couldn't even get anyone to let me over to exit the motorway!!

When I finally got to the river and tackled up (as quickly as I think I've ever done!) a lovely Grayling second cast made all thoughts of traffic jams a distant memory and I was thanking my broken indicator! I started off at the back of the Bassett's factory, where I picked up the first fish, with a second fish just upstream of the Penistone Road bridge. I moved up through the back of Hillsborough but struggled on this section with a low sun shining down the river that made visibility hard, moving up to the pool just below Leppings Lane. I was surprised not to pick up any fish in this pool as it has been consistently good for me. Working my way further upstream I had some decent action against the steps / brick wall midway between Leppings Lane and Niagara Weir.

As the light was fading I dropped into the pool just below Niagara Weir and this fished really well, I caught 4 fish through this section and losing about 5 others. Just before I left I had a few casts at the base of the weir as this has given me a few fish before but couldn't manage any this session. I left the river pleased having caught a few fish and pleased just to get the opportunity!

A couple of pictures and the best fly:


Tight Lines - Jon Warner, SPRITE Member.

No comments:

Post a Comment